How to Find a Reputable Home Inspector
Posted Wednesday, December 17, 2014
Before you sign on the dotted line for your new home, be sure to get the information you need to make a sound financial decision. That includes getting a thorough home inspection by a qualified professional.
This may seem like one more hoop to jump through, but a detailed and complete inspection can reveal some unpleasant surprises about your new home purchase. It can also impact the price you pay for the property. Remember, part of your offer should include a clause that specifies who will pay for any necessary repairs discovered by the inspection.
When looking for an inspector:
- Ask your friends: Word of mouth is still the best way to go, as their good experience can lead to yours.
- Ask your real estate agent: Agents have worked with many buyers and sellers and have heard the stories of money saved by a solid inspection.
- Ask Google or Angie’s List: If no one has a good recommendation, you can always go in blind. Research any prospects you find thoroughly.
No matter how you find inspectors’ names, take the time to check them out.
Once you have a home inspector in mind, be sure to:
- Check licensing: Licensing varies from state to state. Know the rules for your area.
- Check references: Any reputable inspector should have a list of happy former clients. Call a few of them.
- Check the Better Business Bureau: A few minutes can save you some headaches. You don’t want an inspector with 20 complaints lodged against him no matter how wonderful Uncle Eddie says he is.
- Request sample reports: Review sample reports from the inspector. The reports should be thorough.
- Check qualifications: Make sure your inspector has a background in engineering, architecture or contracting work. You want someone who can recognize and identify problems. Ask inspectors about their education, experience and professional association membership (such as the American Society of Home Inspectors).
If you’re looking to buy a home, give me a call or email me today. I’ll take you step-by-step through the buying process, including getting the home thoroughly inspected by a qualified professional.